- Liberal-Nationalism. Princeton University Press, 1993
- Who’s Afraid of Equality? On Education and Social Justice, Yedioth Achronot Press, 2017 (In Hebrew)
- Why Nationalism, Princeton University Press, 2019
- Democratic Education in a Multicultural State, Oxford: Blackwell Press, 1995
- Teaching Between Vocation and Profession. Ramot Publishing House, Tel Aviv University, 1995 (in Hebrew).
- Moral and Political Education, Nomos, New York University Press, 2001
Articles in Refereed Journals
- “Who’s Education is it Anyway?” Journal of philosophy of Education, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 161-169. 1990.
- “The Right to National Self-Determination”, Social Research: An International Quarterly of the Social Sciences, pp. 565-590, 1991.
- “The Right to Self-Determination – An Individualist Approach”, The Journal of History of European Ideas; Vol. 1 16, No. 4-6 (a special issue on nationalism), pp. 899-905, 1992.
- “Nationalism, Democracy and Education”,
The Journal of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
Vol. 24, pp. 17-28, 1992
- “United We Stand?”, Studies in Philosophy and Education,
Vol. 12, pp. 57-70, 1993.
- “Europe: Unification and Devolution”, Zmanim, Vol. No. pp. 94-104, 1993, (in Hebrew).
- “The Democratic Myth:; The Origins of Political Authority and the Boundaries of Democratic Decision-Making”,
Zmanim, Vol. 13 No.50-51, pp. 28-42, 1994. (in Hebrew)
- “The Enigma of Nationalism”, World Politics,
Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 418-441, 1995.
- “The Quest for Identity”, in Studies in Philosophy and Education, Vol. 15, pp. 175-191, 1996. (reprinted in Y. Kashti F. Eros, D. Schers, D. Zisenwine (eds.) “A Quest for Identity, Printed by Studies in Jewish Culture, Identity and Community, Tel Aviv University)
- “The Land of the Free and the Fearful”,
Constellations, vol, 3. No. 3. Pp. 296-315, 1997.
- “A Note on Multiculturalism and Cultural Dominance”,
in The Proceedings of the American Society for International Law, pp. 200-206, 1996. (A short version of “Two Concepts of Multiculturalism,” published 1995)
- “Secession and National Self-determination”,
The Good Society, vol 7. No. 1 pp. 18-21, 1997. (A short version of
“The Right to National Self-Determination,” published 1990.)
- “Theoretical Difficulties in the Study of Nationalism”
Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 1998. (Reprinted in R. Beiner, Theorizing Nationalism, SUNY Press.)
- “A Strange Alliance; Isaiah Berlin and the Liberalism of the Fringes,“ Ethical Theory and Political Practice; a special issue edited by W. Kymlicka, 1998.
- “Staying in Control; or, What Do We Really Want Public Education to Achieve, Educational Theory, Vol 61, no 4, 2011.
- Jointly with APSA Task force headed by Jane Mansbridge and Cathie Jo Martin “Negotiating Agreement in Politics”, American Political Science Association, 2013.
- “Not So Civic: Is there a Difference between Ethnic and Civic Nationalism?”, Annual Review of Political Science, 2019
- “Building a Better Nationalism, The Nation’s Place in a Globalized World”, , vol 98, no, 2 2019
Articles or Chapters in Scientific Books
- “Whose History? What Ideas?”, in E. Ullman-Margalit and A. Marglit (eds.), Isaiah Berlin – A Celebration, Hogarte Press, pp. 146-160, 1991.
- “A Chronology of a Failure Foretold”, in A Ben-Amos and Y. Tamir (eds.), Teaching Between Vocation and Profession. Ramot Publishing House, Tel Aviv University. 1995 (in Hebrew).
- “Two concepts of Multiculturalism”, in Y. Tamir (ed.),
Democratic Education in a Multicultural State, Blackwell, pp. 3-15, 1995. (reprinted in Hebrew in a collection edited by A. Shagi and M. Maunter, in commemoration of Prof. Rosen-Zevi and in D E W Fenner (ed) Ethics in Education, Garland Press.)
- “The Moral Duty of Promoting Political Conflict; A Reply to Amelie Rorty”, Philosophy of Education: Current issues, (a yearbook published by Educational Theory) 1995.
- “Reconstructing the Landscape of Imagination”, in S. Cancy, D. George and P. Jones (eds.) National Rights and International Obligations, Westview, pp. 85-102, 1996.
- “Reflections on Patriotism”, in Patriotism, in D. Bar-Tal and E. Staub (eds.). Patriotism: Its Role and Manifestations in Individual and Group Life, Nelson Hall, Chicago, pp. 1997 (Will be published also in Hebrew in a collection on Patriotism, edited by M. Kshti).
- “Hands off Clitoridectomy”, Boston Review of Books Vol. XXI, No. 3-4 pp. 21-22, 1996., and Response to comments by Martha Nussbaum, Robert Goerge and Francis Camm. In Boston Review of Books, Vol. XXII,
- “Feminism and Multiculturalism; A Reply to Susan Okin,” first published in the Boston Review of Books, 1997. A revised and extended version will be published in, M. Nussbaum, J. Cohen, and Matthew Howard, (eds.) Feminism and Multiculturalism, Princeton University Press, 1998.
- “The Right to National Self Determination ” in Philosophical
Perspective on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, edited by Thomis Kapitan, M.E. Sharpe, New York, pp. 1997 (This article is a combination of a reprint of my paper on the right to national self-determination published in Social Research, and a reply to some of the responses to the original paper.)
- “Pro-Patria Mori ?” Death and the State, in J. McMahan & R. McKin (eds.), The Ethics of Nationalism, Oxford University Press, 1998
- “Revisiting the Civic Sphere”, A. Gutmann (ed.), Freedom Of Association, Princeton University Press, 1998.
- “The Age of Atonement: The Changing of a Political Paradigm,” in C. Jones (eds.), Nations and Nationalism, Clio Press, 1999.
- Y Tamir, “Siding With the Underdogs,” in Susan Moller Okin (ed.) Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women, Princeton University Press, 1999.
- “Love’s Dominion,” in E. Ullman-Margalit (ed.) Practical Reasoning, Oxford University Press..2000
- Y. Tamir. “Remember Amaleq Religious Hate speech,” Nancy Rosenblum (ed.). Obligations of Citizenship, Princeton University Press. 2000,
- “Against Collective Rights,” S. Lukes and C. Joppke (eds.) Rights, Culture and the Law, Oxford University Press. 2003
- “Class and Nation”, Published in Phillippe Van Parijs (ed.) Cultural Solidarity versus Economic Solidarity; Is there a Tension? How Must it be Resolved? Brussels, Deboeck Universite, Francqui, Scientific Library, 2004
- “Can Israel be a Jewish Democratic State?” In M. Walzer, M. Lorberbaum, and N. Zohar, (eds.) Jewish Political Philosophy, Yale University Press. 2005
- “Isaiah Berlin, Unpretentious Passion,” in Jacques Picard, Jacques Revel, Michael Steinberg, Idith Zertal, Modern Jewish Thinkers, Princeton University Press, 2016
- “Ode of Joy”, afterwards, a Translation of Martha Nussbaum, “Non for Profit”, H’ kibbutz H’Meuchad, 2017, (in Herew)
- Y Tamir, Introduction, Paulo Freire, Letters to those who dare Teach, Dror La’Nefesh, 2017, (In Hebrew)
א. Articles in Conference Proceedings
- “Contempt as a Social Strategy”, National Academy of Education, 2015
Entries in Encyclopedias
- Nationalism, The Encyclopedia Hebreica, (in Hebrew) 1994.
- Nationalism – Seymour Martin Lipset (ed.), Encyclopedia of Democracy, Congressional Quarterly Book, 1995.
- National Education, M. Khasti (ed) , Education Lexicon, (in Hebrew)
- “Isaiah Berlin’s Theory of Nationalism, Companion Guide to Nationalism, A. Smith and A. Leoussi (eds.), ABC-Clio
- “Education and the politics of Identity,” the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Education, Professor Randel (ed.)
Other Scientific Publications.
- “New Horizon, Case study”, 2016, Blavatnik School of government
- Liah Brilmayer: American Hegemony, Ethics, Vol. 101, 1996.
- Gadi Taub, The quiet rebellion, Spharim, (in Hebrew)
- A Review of Will Kymlicka’s “Politics in the Vernacular,” Ethics.